History

An unusually good story

Krägga estate on Lake Mälaren’s Ekolsund Bay can be traced back to as early as the 1300s. The name Kreggia appears for the first time in a list of estates belonging to Uppsala Cathedral's building fund in 1344. Its first known owner was the knight Birger Ulfson. He was the son of Bridget of Sweden and knight and judge Ulf Gudmarson. Birger Ulfson had strong political support and came from a powerful family. He was also the director of the monastery foundation in Vadstena, and made several generous donations over the years. One of the largest donations was made in the year 1386. From that time, Krägga was in the possession of Vadstena Monastery for over 140 years. 

At the Västerås Parliament of 1527, the right of churches and monasteries to own land was revoked. Gustaf Vasa, elevated to king in 1523, motivated his decision with the precarious state of Sweden's finances. Ownership of Krägga Estate then reverted to the Crown, like so much else, and with which it remained until 1630. That was the year when Krägga was donated by the state to the nobleman Åke Tott. He also received Ekolsund Castle, situated a little further up the shore of Lake Mälaren. Ekolsund later became Gustav III’s favorite retreat. It is said that Gustav III brought the first swan to Ekolsund Bay. 

Claes Tott inherited the estate from Åke Tott, but donated it to Olof Strömsköld in the 1650s. Until the year 1741, Krägga was owned by the house of Strömsköld. After that, the estate passed through many different hands until the 1900s. The ownership annals include names like de la Chapelle, Otto Wilhelm Rückensköld, Anna Catharina Ekeberg and Conrad Wilhelm Ankarkrona. 

The current mansion was constructed between 1830 and 1840 in the neoclassical style, with a brick frame and light plaster façade. The building was given as a dowry to Agnes Seton by her father Patric Seton. The red wooden house south of the mansion had been the estate’s main building until then, but was converted into servants’ quarters at that time. In the 1850s, a brickyard was opened at Krägga by Johan Artur Wigertstil. The steamboat network on Lake Mälaren was extensive at the time, and the bricks were transported by steamer to Stockholm. Krägga is mentioned as one of the brick manufacturers that supplied the construction of Stockholm’s City Hall. The brickyard was shut down in the 1940s. 

Krägga was owned and cultivated by the Lindblad family from 1924. They grew grain and kept a large poultry farm. The estate was also home to a large blackcurrant crop in the 1900s. Since August 1985, Krägga has been used as a conference and weekend hotel, sitting on just over 100 acres of field, wood and meadow. The grounds are home to wild deer, elk, pheasant, fox and hares. 

Today Krägga Herrgård is owned and operated by TLBV Förvaltning AB, which in turn is owned by the Ljungberg family. Read more »

 
rosarosor-brygga

Weddings

We host banquets for up to 70 people at our mansion, while the reception facility can accommodate up to 300 guests.

benspark

Weekend

Welcome to enjoy a romantic weekend, a spa weekend, a mansion weekend or an unusually nice long weekend.

Hotellrum deluxe

Hotel rooms

There are a total of 47 rooms at Krägga Herrgård. After an unusually good night's sleep, you’ll enjoy our generous breakfast buffet.

Konfferens-lounge på Krägga Herrgård

Conferences

Five rooms, a stable and a villa. Our conference rooms are bright and airy Most have a gorgeous view of the lake.